Are You Complying with the Latest Legislations?

Whether you’re a landlord, letting agent or a managing agent, you will have numerous legislations you have to comply with. With a heavy workload it can be a challenge keeping up to date with legislation changes, but failing to do so can lead to fines, loss of business or worse.

Using a system such as Decorus for Sage, which consolidates the administrative workload, frees up time that can be spent keeping up to date with legal changes and includes the tools to log and record the required certificates. 

Whilst the majority of businesses must comply with the likes of GDPR, Making Tax Digital and Health & Safety, Property Managers also have more specific legislations that need to be followed.

Landlords must ensure that their properties comply with several legislations before it is even rented out. This includes gaining a Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) certificate and have the right facilities that pass Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015. If the property is to be rented out by 5 or more tenants from 2 or more different families, a HMO Licence must be obtained.  

Before a tenant moves in, Right to Rent checks must be taken and proof needs to be recorded. Once a tenant has been moved in their deposit should be put in an authorised Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme. Legal documents required for a tenancy include the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 and the ‘How to Rent’ guide. For an eviction the landlord must abide by rules set in Section 21. If a tenant feels that the landlord isn’t providing the service expected they can appeal with Rent Repayment Order (RR0) or the Deregulation Act 2015.

Letting Agents share similar regulations to landlords; however, they must also comply with Anti Money Laundering Directive and Consumer Protection law for lettings professionals.

Managing Agents working on behalf of the freeholder or landlord to manage and monitor estates and blocks face different responsibilities when it comes to the law. A lot of this can be found in the Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002. 

This is just a snapshot of the legal requirements when it comes to working in the property management industry. We don’t want to scare you off by reeling off the whole list, however it is much easier to digest when you have the time, which Decorus for Sage ensures you do.
Back to blog